- Life on the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, 1859
[York, Pa. : American Canal and Transportation Center, 1975]
The Grand Idea : George Washington's Potomac and the Race to the West
, Simon and Schuster, 2004.
- Blackford, John, 1771-1839.
Plantation journal :
life on the Potomac River and
the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, 4 January 1838-15 January
1839 2d ed. Shepherdstown, W. Va. : [American Canal and
- Camagna, Dorothy. The C&O Canal: From Great National Project to
National Historical Park, Belshore Publications, 2005.
C and O Canal Association. Food and Lodging along the
- Cotton, Robert. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Through the Lens
of Sir Robert Cotton
- Fradin, Morris.
Cabin John, Md., See-and-Know Press, 1974
Tyrconnel: An Antebellum Adventure Along the C&O Canal
Website for book
- Gutheim, Frederick. The Potomac. New York: Rinehart
- Hahn, Thomas F. The
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
Lock-Houses and Lock-Keepers (ISBN
of illustrations 105 pp. $15.00 postpaid for $15.00 to ACTC PO Box 310
Shepherdstown WV 25443-0310.
- Hahn, Thomas F. C&O Canal An Illustrated History,
American Canal and Transportation Center, 1981.
- Hahn, Thomas F. The
Chesapeake And Ohio Canal Old Picture Album, American Canal and
Transportation Center, 1976.
- Hahn, Thomas F. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal: Pathway to the
Nation's Capital. Metuchen, NJ: The Scarecrow Press, 1984.
- Hahn, Thomas F. Towpath Guide to the C&O Canal: Georgetown
to Cumberland. Shepherdstown, WV: American Canal and
- High, Mike.
The C&O Canal Companion,
Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
- Kapsch, Robert and Kapsch, Elizabeth Perry. Monocacy Aqueduct on
the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. Medley Press, 2005.
- Kytle, Elizabeth.
Home on the Canal Cabin John, Md. : Seven Locks Press, c1983.
- Mackintosh, Barry.
C & O Canal : the making of a park
Washington : U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park
Service, History Division, 1991.
- Martin, Edwin. A Beginner's Guide to Wildflowers of the C and
O Towpath, 1984.
- Mason-Dixon Council, Boy Scouts of America, 184 Miles of
Hiker's Guide to the C&O Canal. P.O. Box 2133, Hagerstown, MD
- Mulligan, Kate. Canal Parks, Museums and Characters of the
Mid-Atlantic, Wakefield Press, Washington, DC, 1999.
- Mulligan, Kate.
Towns along the Towpath, 1997. (Available
from C &O
Association) Here is
Chapter 3 about Seneca.
- National Park Service, Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
National Historical Park Washington, DC: NPS Division of
- Rada, James Jr. Canawlers, Legacy Press, 2001.
- Rada, James, Jr. Between Rail and River , Legacy Press,
- Reeder, Carolyn. Captain
Kate. Avon Books, 1999
- Rubin, Mary. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, Arcadia,
- Sabatke, Mark. Discovering the C&O Canal, Rockville,
Schreiber Publishing, March 2003.
- Sanderlin, Walter S. The Great National Project: A History of
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press,
- Stanton, Richard. Potomac Journey, Fairfax Stone to
Tidewater, Smithsonian Press, 1993.
- Ward, George W. The Early Development of the Chesapeake and
Ohio Canal Project
- Winslow, Barbara. Samantha goes to Georgetown on the C & O
- Wolfe, George "Hooper." I Drove Mules on the C and O
You may want to check out the non-profit
Parks and History Association,
P.O. Box 40929, Washington,
DC 20016, 202-472-3083, which sells books, maps and other publications
the Canal in support of the interpretive and management programs of the
park. Items may be purchased at most Canal information centers or by
Write to them for a free list of titles.
See also the C and O Canal
Association Store for some of these titles as well as others.
Listings of items in the Library of Congress searching keywords:
chesapeake ohio canal
Return to Main C&O Canal Page.