Glen Echo Park
Issues to be Considered:
- To provide broad guidance for the long term management
and development of Glen Echo Park.
- How to ensure protection of the Potomac Palisades and historic
- What uses are appropriate for the site.
- What level of rehabilitation is needed to allow the recommended
uses to be successful.
- Who should manage the park.
- How to obtain non-governmental funds to rehabilitate the structures.
- How to continue to offer the interpretive, educational
and recreational program to the public at reasonable rates.
- How to develop fee generated streams to allow revenues to be used
to rehabilitate park facilities.
- What the impact of park programs and activities will be on
Product To Be Produced:
- A Management Plan/Environmental Assessment
How Will The Plan Be Developed:
- George Washington Memorial Parkway Staff will draft
document in consultation with the following groups:
- Glen Echo Park Foundation
- Town of Glen Echo
- Resident Cooperators
- Maryland National Capitol Parks & Planning Commission
- Maryland State Historic Preservation Officer
- Montgomery County Arts Council
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Civic Associations of Adjacent Neighborhoods
- General Public
- Regional & National NPS Staff
- Resource Material To Be Used:
- 1972 Planning Charette on Park Development
- 1982 Draft Glen Echo Development Concept Plan
- 1984 Management & Facilities Program
- 1995 Glen Echo Park Vision Statement
- 1995 Glen Echo Park Feasibility Study
- 1992 Visitor Survey
- Public Involvement
| Publish Introductory Newsletter || December, 1997
| Public Involvement Begins || January, 1998
| Draft Plan For Public Review || April, 1998
| Final Plan || October, 1998
To get on mailing list, write or call:
George Washington Memorial Parkway
c/o Turkey Run Park
McLean, VA 22101
park web site:
This announcement was distributed at the Glen Echo Spanish
Ballroom on 1997 December 8.
Glen Echo Park Announcement Page
This page was created by Tom Schneider.
origin 1998 January 10
updated: 2002 May 5