by Tom Schneider
Physics and Consequences
Global warming is happening
and it is caused by humans burning fossil fuels.
Here are resources that demonstrate these facts
and some of the effects it is causing.
Brief summary of the PHYSICS of what is happening
- When we
drive a gas car or use electricity
generated by oil, coal or natural gas
the fuel burns and generates CO2.
- The amount of CO2 gas in the atmosphere is
rising way beyond historic levels.
NASA Carbon Dioxide LATEST MEASUREMENT
- The CO2 allows visible sunlight through the atmosphere.
- The visible and infrared sunlight heats up the earth.
- The heat is re-radiated as longer wavelength infrared light.
- Infrared light radiates into outerspace, cooling the planet.
- But infrared light it gets absorbed by CO2, trapping
- So the CO2 we are adding to the atmosphere does NOT allow the
heat out as much.
- CO2 is called a "greenhouse gas" because it
works like a greenhouse - heating up the container it is in.
So the earth is heating up and it is our fault.
The heat warms the oceans, causing more water in the air,
leading to more severe storms which we are seeing.
In some places the extra heat causes droughts.
In Syria the extra heat caused a drought.
The global-warming caused drought triggered the war.
Researchers Link Syrian Conflict to a Drought Made Worse by Climate Change,
by Henry Fountain March 2, 2015.
Storm intensity has been shown to be increasing.
- Weather patterns change, many places will become
drier but others wetter since heating the oceans causes
- Storms are already bad and getting worse.
- Wars are already being fought over resources.
- The pole ice caps are melting.
- Melting ice on land is causing the sea level to rise.
- The sea expands in the heat and raises the sea level.
- Coastal cities all around the planet are already in trouble and many
will have to be abandoned.
- Species are migrating northward and
many species are dying that cannot migrate.
- The permafrost in places like Siberia is warming up, releasing
methane, another gas like CO
CO2. If enough is released, it could cause
- Many humans are already dying from the heat.
- My opinion: these changes could lead to human extinction.
- Civilization collapse
- Humanity will become fragmented
- Fragmented species are in danger of extinction
Quantification of habitat fragmentation reveals extinction
risk in terrestrial mammals
Crooks et al. PNAS 2017.
- Here's an essay about
by Catherine Ingram
by Leonard Cohen
Interlude: How Science Works
I'm a published scientist
(> 60 papers in peer reviewed journals)
so I know how science works. I am
NOT a climate scientist.
However, I have gathered on
some information on
Please read it to
understand the physics. I dig into the original literature when I have
time THAT IS HOW I KNOW. There is room for other points of view but
the bulk of the evidence and so the bulk of
the scientists who study climate FOR A LIVING FOR MANY YEARS is that
global warming is happening, that we are the cause and it is a
disaster for many species including us.
this page for more information.
IN ADDITION I am sufficiently old enough living here in the USA to see that
there used to be deep snowfall in the winters
and now it's basically gone.
No more digging snow tunnels in 5 foot deep snow drifts!
That is my own evidence. If you are old enough you should be
able to confirm it from your own experiences.
I generally trust the scientific papers of other scientists
because I understand how peer review works.
An editor gets a scientific paper
and if it fits the journal and passes many
they usually send it
out to two experts in the field. The experts evaluate the paper and
tell the editor what they think. The editor may accept the paper,
reject the paper or send it back for revisions (the usual case in my
When revisions are received, the process repeats and the editor
have the previous reviewers look at the paper again,
get new reviewers to evaluate the paper and ask again for
further revisions. I have a paper that went through revisions for two
years until the editors changed the rules of the journal and threw out
After a paper is published there are two possibilities: 1) the
paper is unimportant. In this case it does no good for the reputation
of the authors. 2) The paper appears to be important. In this case
other scientists will often be interested in using the ideas, methods
or results in their own work.
So many will first prudently try to replicate the results before
applying them to their own projects.
IF THEY REPEATEDLY FAIL
EITHER THERE IS A MYSTERY TO SOLVE
or if many people fail eventually
THE AUTHORS WILL BECOME KNOWN TO BE CHEATERS.
Schön scandal in which he replicated a graph and the noise
was the same.
So science has a
natural feedback - if you cheat and lie about what is happening in nature
you can get your career ruined.
The observed consistency of nature
makes most scientists honest!
- School strike for climate - save the world by changing the rules
Published on Dec 12, 2018
- GREENLAND - THE MELTING ISLAND,
Published on Nov 29, 2018 Stunning.
Sea Level Rise Can No Longer Be Stopped,
What Next? - with John Englander,
The Royal Institution,
Published on May 29, 2019.
- Dan Britt - Orbits and Ice Ages: The History of Climate
Published on Feb 8, 2012. Excellent summary of the science.
- How long have scientists known about climate change?
- Two Simple Proofs of Global Warming.
inFact with Brian Dunning
Published on Jan 27, 2018
- The oceans are warming. No more fish to eat.
- Top 10 climate change myths.
Published on Apr 14, 2018
- 120 Seconds of Science: How Do Greenhouse Gases Work?
Published on Feb 4, 2013
- Global Weirding with Katharine Hayhoe
- Informative series of videos on global warming.
Dr. Katharine Hayhoe's
Opening Plenary talk at the Citizens' Climate Lobby 2019 Conference
- A Glacier dies
WARNING: FRAUDULANT VIDEOS -
Most YouTube climate change videos 'oppose the consensus view'
as given in the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
which gives the scientific consensus.
Citizens Climate Lobby:
Hunters, ranchers, and park visitors are seeing concerning changes.
You can help.
Original youtube video:
Take Action | Save Yellowstone National Park | Paramount Network
- Predictions of what will happen:
Beyond Two Degrees with David Wallace-Wells
Other good links and News
- Real Climate "Climate science from climate scientists"
- Temperature Anomaly
- July  was `absolutely' Earth's hottest month ever recorded
- google: green house effect
- Researchers Link Syrian Conflict to a Drought Made Worse by Climate Change
GLOBAL WARMING CAUSES WAR
- Causes of Climate Change
- xkcd 1732: Earth Temperatures Timeline
- Inside the mind of a climate change scientist,
Corinne Le Quéré, TEDxWarwi.
Published on Apr 19, 2018
Did a 1912 Newspaper Article Predict Global Warming?
A newspaper clipping from 1912 that anticipates the global warming potential of burning coal is authentic and consistent with the history of climate science.
Alex Kasprak. Published 18 October 2016
- NASA: Climate Change: How Do We Know?
This doesn't even include observed changes in species!
- A call to climate action,
Jonathan T. Overpeck1 and Cecilia Conde,
Science, 31 May 2019:
Vol. 364, Issue 6443, pp. 807
- It's not Solar Cycles
- Report on Effects of a Changing Climate to the Department of Defense
If the US Department of Defense is concerned, should you be too?
- Debunking 25 arguments against climate change in 5 sentences or less (each)
Posted on October 18, 2016
The argument that global warming is part of a natural cycle is dead
"A common argument among skeptics is put to rest"
by Mark Fischetti,
Scientific American, November 2019, page 86.
From the original scientific report:
No evidence for globally coherent warm and cold periods over the
preindustrial Common Era
Nature. 2019 Jul;571(7766):550-554.
2019 Jul 24.
Neukom R, Steiger N,
J, Wang J, Werner JP.
Big oil knew about the global warming problem for 60 years
The cause of Australia's bushfires - what the SCIENCE says
Jan 18, 2020 potholer54
Is the Sun causing global warming? No.
How well do scientific models of climate do? VERY WELL!
That is, they are quite close to the ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS.
That means: global warming is caused by humans.
Carbon Negative: Can we get there?
by Just Have a Think
HERE'S HOW SCIENCE WORKS FOLKS!
Global warming is not from the sun!
"Major science journal retracts study blaming climate change on the sun"
The original paper is clearly marked:
RETRACTED ARTICLE: Oscillations of the baseline of solar magnetic field and solar irradiance on a millennial timescale
Washington Post stories that won the 2020 Pulitzer Prize
Even 50-year-old climate models correctly predicted global warming
By Warren Cornwall, Dec. 4, 2019, 12:00 PM, Science.
Evaluating the Performance of Past Climate Model Projections
Geophysical Research Letters, Volume 47, Issue 2,
16 January 2020
How Will Earth Change If All the Ice Melts?
RealLifeLore Jul 28, 2017
The Keeling Curve
"The Keeling Curve is a daily record of global atmospheric carbon
dioxide concentration maintained by Scripps Institution of
Oceanography at UC San Diego."
JOIN Citizens' Climate Lobby
They have a logical, balanced political approach to solving the
Wildfires and Climate Change Explained
The Years Project, 2020 Aug 21
CO2, Temperature and Sea Level
from John Englander 2020 Sep 09
A graph from NASA shows how people try to fool you about climate change.
New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States ...
You didn't expect to keep the
Heatwaves are killing a record number of people
Dec 3rd 2020.
Tim Cook at U.N. Climate Summit: Apple To Be Ready 20 Years Early.
Dec 13, 2020
Thwaites glacier melting!
Dec 16, 2020
- Posting on Facebook by Our Children's Trust
Atmospheric CO2 Data, Primary Mauna Loa CO2 Record
In the csv, Columns 4 (date) and 5 (CO2 [ppm]) are the raw data.
- The most horrifying aspect of this curve is that the rate
is increasing. Is it exponential? If so it should be a straight line
on a log(CO2) versus time plot. The graph shows that it is
MORE THAN EXPONENTIAL!
- Facebook posting:
The Keeling curve shows the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere over time.
The most horrifying aspect of this curve is that the rate
is increasing. Is it exponential? If so it should be a straight line
on a log(CO2) versus time plot.
I replotted the data on a log scale.
The graph shows that it is MORE THAN EXPONENTIAL!
Tom Schneider's Home Page
origin: 2017 Apr 08
updated: 2020 Dec 16