| Main Page |
What's New? |
State by State |
More Info |
A.T. Clubs |
| Journals |
.GIF Maps |
Mailing List |
Books, Maps, etc. |
Appalachian Trail Hike Journals - Old and New
Note: Some of the following are here at fred.net or
geocities.com, while most are at other websites .
- 1999 Thru Hikes
- Mara "Stitches" Factor's, Travels and
includes her thruhike journal, other journals, and lot of hiking and gear
Christian started out on April 6 and, at the urging of his wife,
has a page being maintained by his
friend, Mike Southern.
The Burroughs and their German Shepherd
finished on October 8th.
- KC and Sasha started out on
the 14th of March and wrote to me from the Erwin library on April 21.
Jason Grudell's journey begins February 23.
- Sarah Rebick and Edie Sonne are planning to share their thru
hike (March 1 start) with middle school students through
a web site with
lessons and weekly updated journal entries.
- John O'Mahoney's
journal was kept by friend, Michael Connick.
Scott got a six month leave of absence from work and is setting out
about April 21.
- K.C. Felton's page for
her hike starting March 1. "War Eagle" (This is the first of what may be
several A.T. journals on
Ryan's Backcountry Net page.)
Steven and Jennifer Burrough are planning to leave in March,
accompanied by their 2 year old German Shepherd, Abby.
- Brian Simon
started mid-April with his faithful companion, Heidi (a dog).
Mike, Blaine and Steve's 1999 AT Thru-hike
- a Scientific Approach to Backpacking
- Susan Cooper
is celebrating 12 years of surviving cancer by hiking the AT.
Todd Ricker a.k.a. "Bodhi" will be starting his
fubdraising hike in March.
Childrens Miracle Network,
ATC trail preservation, and
a Local Youth Group
- Mark Schieber left for Katahdin on
- Ron Grace will
be starting in late February and is hoping to raise funds for the
Jimi Huffman Memorial Scholarship Fund.
- John Davis is leaving in
late March and will have his son maintain a webpage for him.
- The n2 backpacking page is hosting
- Gregg Hilferding is
Hiking For History
(Chocolate Thunder)'s page
- Dawn Averitt is hiking
southbound for AIDS awareness.
Oberright, naturalist and wildlife rehabilitator, started north the first
week of April.
- BlackBear and Soaring
Eagle planned their hike for many years.
- Thor Knutson had made it
into Pennsylvania by mid-June.
- Hank McComas completed his hike
in September, 1999.
- Section hiker Phil Heffington
completed over 800 miles of the AT in the last three years.
- 1998 Thru Hikes
- Shorter Term 1998 Hikes
- 1997 A.T. Thru Hikes
- Arthur Gaudet hiked
- Solophile hiked with her dog,
Rachel DuBois' Appalachian Trail Journey is scheduled to start in March
'97. Here's a link to her
- Bob Seiler is out hiking while his wife, Jan, is holding down the fort and
posting his hiking
- Sunny Whitedog took his human along on his 1997
- Kurt Kirsch's
Megan A.K.A. Pedro began on June 15.
- David Covin is planning to thru-hike starting in early April '97 using
a wearable computer, and is hoping to
maintain his webpage as he walks north. (He's begun putting up a
journal as of about 4-23.)
- Screamin' Knee's AT
adventure.. [Page Gone]
- Waldo is
back on the trail again now, hoping to complete the hike he started last year.
He had problems with "things" breaking last year which prevented him from
finishing then... Things = computers, modems and body parts. :-)
- Deanna McKusker is maintaining a page for her
brother, Jeff, who started his hike on May 6 (after hiking the PCT
- The Rhymin' Worm has an ongoing ballad
his '97 hike.
- Sean Hurley a.k.a. Buck
Rose is scheduled to start his northward trek on April 20. [Page
- Rob Cleveland
and his friend Neal
are planning to start
out on February 1.
They were recently recruited by 3rd grade and 5th grade
classes in Milledgeville, GA & Greensboro, NC, respectively. The teachers
were planning an Appalachian Trail lesson for this semester, and are
sponsoring them. Update: They finished July 15.
- Clay Adams and Scott Molinari are planning a '97 Thru-hike to Raise
Funds for Cancer Their first trip report was
posted on March 15.
- A link to Jim and Steph's
Excellent A.T. Adventure [Page Gone]
Tour of the AT
- John LaFleur has put up a page for his friend's son,
Greg Smith, who
out March 16 and hopes to finish August 1.
- The Professor has a page for Mike (Snoop) Paton's hike.
(File not found)
- Tim Messerich
is planning to get going on March 15.
Trail Journals from Wingfoot's
- 1997 Shorter Term A.T. Hikes
- Non-A.T. 1997 Hikes
- 1995 and 1996 Hikes
- In February of '96, I received an email from someone who asked if I
would be interested in posting an account of his and his wife's planned
thru-hike. He was planning to take along a one pound Zaurus computer and
could send reports from various towns along the way. I thought that
sounded like a great idea, but secretly wondered if I would ever hear
anything further. I most certainly did!!! Here, then is the Kushmans' page.
Through-Hiking Vikings have an online book about their 1996 hike.
- Some time in March '96 or so, I heard from Waldo Jacquith. He was
planning to have his own
and would be carrying a laptop and cellphone with him on his hike so he
could maintain the page directly from the trail. Things didn't exactly go
according to plan, and he hasn't yet finished the trail...but he's got
some wonderful journal entries.
- Also in the spring of '96, Pete Fornof began posting Gail Johnson's
accounts of her ongoing thru-hike to the AT-L
mailing list. Eventually, Gutsy's
Journal was compiled into its own page and put online.
- In September 1997, I found Wired's Page about his 1995 and 1996
- Kevin Hoffman has put up his Snail-No-More
Photo Journal of his '96 hike.
- Benjamin Reese has an
A.T. Yearbook for 1996.
- Bud and Vicki Hogan have put up a page for their
1996 hike from Amacalola Falls to Damascus.
- In 1995, the Raleigh News and Observer put up a website entitled "An
Appalachian Adventure". Reporters and photographers from several
different newspapers did a sort of relay thru-hike of the trail, uploading
reports at various points along the way when they would be met by support
staff with laptops and a ride to a local motel.
- Also in '95, there was a "Tag-Team" AOL relay hike of the A.T.
However, those not on AOL heard little about it.
- Julius Daniels aka Kickatree
his hike in 1996. He had a short but wonderful time
considering he had never backpacked before.
- Mark Holmes has a page about his and
his wife's 1995 hike. It includes a page for links to pages of fellow hikers,
many from the AT-L mailing list.
- The Professor has put up a photo
journal of his '95 hike. It's chock full of shelters and bridges (as of
1-26-27) with lots more to be added shortly. (Page seems to have disappeared.
Please let me know if you find a new URL for his page.)
- Earlier Accounts
- Trail Journals from the
To Main A.T. Page