Chesapeake and Ohio Canal - News - Recent and Old
- 9-10 As some Scouts rode along the C&O Canal towpath, they heard a woman yell for help about 15 feet into the brush..... - Herald-Mail
- 9-8 Karen Gray's Letter to the Editor
- 8/29 - Park officials plan canal restoration after bridge in place - Herald-Mail
- Update and Errata Page for Mike High's The C&O Canal Companion.
- August 25-26 Williamsport Canal Days - includes link to schedule
- 8-15 Council considers request to buy land by C&O Canal - Herald-Mail
- 8-6 States divided over use of the Potomac River - Herald-Mail
- 7-19 Preserving Canal-Era History Monocacy Aqueduct Close to Securing Funds for Repairs - Washington Post
- 7-18 C&O Canal is moving headquarters from Ferry Hill to Dual Highway in Hagerstown
- 7-1 - Jim Moore is going to try a back and forth run of the towpath starting on July 18. (As he did 2 years ago.)
- 6-19 Bill's Place has reopened after the fire and other news in the Canal Association's Summer 2001 newsletter.
- 4-26 -Stopping in Cumberland at the new canal museum, I learned of the Canal Place page It has info about the upcoming May 19-20 CanalFest. I also found a URL for the Allegheny Highlands Trail in Maryland
- 4-10 Japanese walkers revere cultural misson on foot - story from the cumberland Times-News
- 3-25 Trans-America Walk 2001, organized by the Japan Walking Association will began their transcontinental walk at the end of March. Part of their initial days of their six month trip will be spent wlaking along the C and O. - They were around mile 80 of the towpath on Friday, April 6. (There was a picture in the April 8 Morning Herald.)
- 11-8 Bill's Bar Burns Down - Little Orleans or try: http://www.candocanal.org/billsplace.htm
- 9-6 - Sewer studies conflict (along C and O near Cabin John)
- 8-23 Lock 44 restored
- 8-23Canal Days + Canal Facts
- 8-21 - Rick McMullan's C and O Canal Virtual Tour has loads of pictures from along the Canal.
- 8-18 - There was a report in the August 20 Martinsburg Journal of
a sexual assault in the mile 73 area of the towpath, about a mile above the
Shepherdstown bridge, at about 2:30 p.m. on Friday, August 18. On August
19 an ultralight
plane crashed between Potomac and towpath in Montgomery County.
- August 15 Post article: Love
for Canal Runs in Family
- Special Events in Honor of the 150th Anniversary of the Canal
- Starting June 5 - Many of the drive-in campgrounds along the Canal will
- Coming September 23-24 - Potomac Watershed Weekend. See the Potomac Conservancy website
- July 11 Herald-Mail article: Park
Service renting C&O Canal's historical homes
- July 9 - Discovered an account of someone's trip down the towpath by skateboard.
- July 2 - C&O
Canal Digs Into the Past - 182nd anniversary of the beginning of
- June 27 - Washington
The Potomac Rises Again
- June 22 - Cumberland Times-News story Traveling
cyclists an example of trail's impact
- June 20 - Herald-Mail story: Unsafe
dam to be rebuilt
- June 10 - Herald-Mail story: Work
under way to save Fort Duncan
- May 23 - CNN Story about
the ADT and Hiking across the United States (The ADT includes the C and
- May 22 - Post Article:
C&O: The Little Canal That Couldn't
(alternate link if
other doesn't work)
- May 19
restricted at Lock 34
- May 19
Completed at Fort Frederick (Mile 112)
- 2-7 Granny D. is due to be walking/skiing for
campaign finance reform along the towpath the first 2 weeks of
in today's Morning-Herald On one of the days students from T.J. High School in
Frederick came out to walk with her.
- 2-6 Kate Mulligan has an article in the February 2000 Bulletin of the AARP entitled:
Drawn to America's
Waterways: Restored Canals Offer Fans Chance to
Glimpse Life in America's Past
- 1-25 There's now a website for the film which was shot along the Canal,
for the Trees.
Feds to rent historic fixer-uppers
- article in Morning Herald
- New bike trip accounts added: John and Carole
Pescatore's Fall 1999 Trip
and a June '99 Trip by the Oxon Hill Bicycle and
November 17 article in Morning Herald -
Canal families fight to save homes
- October 23 - Post article: In Bad Odor at the
Canal D.C. Agency Sued Over Stench From Sewage Pipe Near C&O
- Excerpt from the newly published book Canal Parks, Museums and Characters of the Mid-Atlantic by Kate Mulligan is now online.
- November 1 - There will be a lecture on the role of the Canal in the Civil War
at the Hagerstown, MD Library
Walking with the Walrus 10 KM Volksmarch in the Paw Paw Tunnel area - took
place in April but I just found out in September.
Essay about one of last Mule Skinners on the canal
- August 29, 1999 - Article about biking
from Pittsburgh to D.C. (Print version had several color pictures.)
- August 29, 1999 - An article
- August 29, 1999 -Article
about families' fight to prevent Park from going through with agreements
signed in '70's which many say they were coerced into signing.
- August 27 - Many trees are down along the towpath in the Shepherdstown area
after a heavy storm that passed through the area on Friday afternoon.
No doubt the park will be working to get them cleared soon, but cycling in that
area could well be difficult this weekend. NOTE: Late Friday afternoon - most of
downed trees have already been cleared.
21 - Lockhouses
for rent, ghosts included - Page 1 Metro section, Washington Post
- July 19-24 Jim Moore's
Round-trip Run of the
- July 11 Washington Post article dateline mile 70 of the towpath:
Area's Drought Brings Out the Bears
C&O Canal Sightings Alarm Campers but Don't Faze Residents
Potomac River Guide: A guidebook to the history and recreation of the
Potomac River Valley, includes a 1999 calendar of
- June 9 Herald Mail article about
grocery along Canal.
- May 5 Post article about
the "Monacacy" Aqueduct - No longer available
- April 18 Post article
A Walk Down Memory Towpath:
Trek Recalls When Judge Came to the Aid of a Canal - No longer available
- Travel the whole Potomac with WETA's
Adventure - WETA Direct link to
April 28-May 18
- Starting April 22:
and O is instituting a
new "Trash Free Park" policy.
- May 9-12 Daily showings in Cumberland of
"Forest for the Trees,"
a film whose setting is a five day bike trip along the towpath.
- February 26 - From Morning Herald:
New path to be Built in Problem Area Downriver from Williamsport
100 k. hike on the towpath on May 1, an annual hike sponsored by
the Sierra Club's
Metropolitan Washington Regional Outings Program
- February 5 article
from Morning Herald about funds for Canal in Clinton's budget.
- Hillary planning to visit
the Monocacy Aqueduct on the 15th.
- Monocacy Aqueduct has been named one of America's 11 most endangered
historic places by the National Trust for
Historic Preservation A program will be aired about the 11 places on June
22 at 10 P.M. by
Article about the Western Maryland Rail-Trail - June 11
- August 22-23 -
Canal Days were held in Williamsport. Here's a glimpse at last
year's Canal Days. as well as
- June 27 article in Morning Herald:
Elements eat away at towpath
- June 16 article in Morning Herald:
First Lady goes to bat for Monocacy Aqueduct. And an article from the
lady announces: Monocacy aqueduct on endangered
- June 17
newspaper column about America's historic places and the
remarks she made on visit to the Aqueduct.
- April 30 - Western Maryland Rail Trail set to Open:
From March 12 Hagerstown paper:
The grand-opening of the Western Maryland Rail Trail will be held April 30 at
1:30 PM at the Hancock end of the trail. The 10 mile paved trail runs from
Hancock to Fort Frederick. See info on a Hancock webpage.
An article appeared in the April 25 Morning Herald:
Word is Out on the Rail Trail. And in the May 1 paper, there was
a picture from the opening day on April 30.
April 16 article in Post:
U.S. Works To Fortify C&O Canal
April 10, 1998 articles in Morning Herald:
C&O headquarters could become tourist attraction and also
Options considered for Ferry Hill
March 5 article
from Washington Post :
"For Rent: History on the C&O Canal:
Park Service Seeks Tenants to Fix Up Old Houses, Barns"
- December 1 - Dave
Johnson presented a talk entitled: The Canal Era. A video of this talk can
be viewed in the Washington County Free Library in Hagerstown.
30 article from Raleigh News and Observer
November 5 Washington
Post Article about Biking the C&O and W&OD
- October 13 Washington Post Article About Canal
Repair in Brookmont Area
October 2 Article on Herald-Mail Website regarding NPS plans to lease
historic properties along C & O
- July 14 Article from the Washington Post
- November 22 - JFK
Marathon on Towpath
Article about it in the
Morning Herald and another in the
the Winner is.... (November 23 - Herald-Mail)
January '96 Flood-related Information
And Along Came Hurricane Fran...
- Articles appeared in the Washington Post on September 8,9,10 and 11 about Hurricane Fran, including its impact on the Canal. The title of the one on the 11th was "Fran's Flood A Bit Kinder To C&O Park."
- The Potomac Conservancy's 1996 Flood - The Sequel
- Channel 4's Flood Page (No
| Local Pages (on this server) | Maps | Flora and Fauna |
C and O Books |
| Info for Teachers |
Places Along the C and O |
Biking Info |
Historical Accounts |
| Old News
| January '96 Flood Info | September
| Other C & O Pages |
Other Miscellaneous Canal-Related Sites |